Hummingbird Sanctuary
South Hills Hansen, ID
The turn off for the Hummingbirds is near Magic Mountain Ski Resort, in the South Hills of Hansen Idaho. This is a completely independently funded and maintained area. There are people that have taken an interest in the Hummingbirds and spend a lot of time and effort maintaining the sanctuary for them. During our visit there were at least 10 birds zooming about. It's very clear they feel safe and comfy around these feeders. There were fights between some of the birds over positions, and such, and it was impressive to sit and watch them flit from one perch to another. This place is a bit out of the way, but well worth the drive.
When I was buying new hummingbird feeders at D&B this last weekend, the cashier mentioned the Sanctuary. It is so great to see photos of it. What amazes me about these amazing creatures is that they are actually pretty social. When I am outside they always want to fly up and see exactly what I am doing. I am also amazed that they will actually perch and sit for a bit before they zoom off. Thanks for sharing, I see a road trip in the near future!
ReplyDelete