Perrine Barber Shop
Twin Falls, ID





The Clicky Chicks had the pleasure to meet and photograph Brad Burgess, barber, at the Perrine Barber Shop. He also shared the very first picture just below the title with us. Below is what Brad shared with us about the Perrine Barber Shop.
"As many of you might know, I am a barber in the Perrine Barber shop in Twin. The shop was originally in the old Perrine Hotel which once stood where the Magic Valley Bank is now. My Great Uncle started this business in 61 with two other partners. But in the old days when Twin was new there was the original Perrine Barber Shop of which I found this gem of a pic." (See above)
"Well the history of the shop? My Great Uncle and two other partners started the Perrine Barber shop in the Perrine Hotel in 1961. It was in a spot that my Great Uncle said was the 107 bar because the address was 107 main street. When they opened the bought new chairs that we still use today. What do they make today that would still work like new 50 years later? The Perrine Hotel was sold mostly for the ideal location of the time in 1968. The downtown at that time was getting a face lift. They put in the fountain and benches. They Idea was to give it a more fresh pleasing feel. The new owner of the hotel thought that a modern bank and office complex would be a better investment than the old hotel. So sadly it was torn down. People speak fondly of the old hotel. It seemed to be an icon of Old Twin. Anyway, My Great Uncle moved the shop to a spot on Main near the Orpheum theater. After about ten years they decided that there wasn't enough foot traffic and had the oportunity to move to where the shop is now in 1978. The shop has had barbers come and go but there has always been someone from my family in it. I have had a cousin that bought from her dad (My Great Uncle), My Uncle worked there for 15 years, and then Myself now for about four years. I bought my share from my Uncle when he retired. So I started a new career when I turned forty. Renae who is my partner has been there six years and she got her share from her Dad who worked in the shop probably 35 years. One thing that is kinda cool about that shop, It's where I got my first haircut I still use the same booster seat that I sat in!! Also the back bar was hand built by a customer that still comes into the shop."
The Clicky Chicks would like to express our sincere appreciation to Brad for allowing us to photograph the Shop and his time and expertise in sharing the history and story of the Perrine Barber Shop. We'd like to add that Brad is a true master of his art, as demonstrated by the work he has done for our families! THANK YOU BRAD!
No comments:
Post a Comment